A newsbasket is on-line Internet publication containing comprehensive aggregated collections of information.


Friday, August 28, 2009

Understanding Medicare is no simple task. the basics.

Medicare Rights Center - Medicare Answers
Medicare Answers

Understanding Medicare is no simple task. So, let's make it easier and start with the basics.

The site will take you to Essential Answers on Medicare Interactive (MI) Counselor, a free, independent, public resource from the Medicare Rights Center. MI Counselor offers easy-to-understand information and advice on a full range of Medicare topics. Drawing from the experience and best practices of the Medicare Rights Center's counselors, MI Counselor explains Medicare choices, how best to get coverage, how to get help with costs, and how to appeal for care if it is denied.
Medicare Coverage Basics
* What is Medicare?
* What does Medicare cover (Parts A, B and D)?
* What does Medicare Part A cover?
* What does Medicare Part B cover?
* Which drugs does the Medicare drug benefit cover?
* What is not covered by Medicare?


Medicare Eligibility

* Am I eligible for Medicare if I am over 65?
* Am I eligible for Medicare if I am under 65?
* Am I eligible for the Medicare drug benefit (Part D)?


Enrolling in Medicare

* I am turning 65. How do I get Medicare?
* I am turning 65 and do not receive retirement benefits. When can I enroll in Medicare?
* I have a disability and am about to become eligible for Medicare. How do I get it?
* Should I enroll in Medicare Part B if I am 65 or older, still working (or spouse is still working) and have insurance from that job?
* Should I enroll in Medicare Part B if I have a disability, am under 65 and have insurance from my (or my spouse's) current job?
* Should I enroll in Medicare Part B if I'm retired and have insurance from a former job?
* Should I enroll in the Medicare drug benefit (Part D)?


Medicare Plan Options

* What are my Medicare health plan choices?
* Can I change my Medicare health plan at any time?
* Can I change my Medicare private drug plan (Part D) at any time?
* Questions to ask before joining a Medicare private health plan
* How do I compare Medicare private drug plans?


Original Medicare Costs

* What do I have to pay for services covered under Medicare Part A?
* What do I have to pay for services covered under Medicare Part B?


Private Health and Drug Plan Costs

* What will I pay in a Medicare private health plan?
* What do I have to pay for drugs covered under the Medicare prescription drug benefit (Part D)?


Filling Gaps in Medicare

* How can I get help paying for health care costs that Medicare doesn't cover?
* What insurance can I buy to fill gaps in Original Medicare?


Medicare Rights and Protections

* How hard is it to exercise my Medicare rights?
* What can I do if Original Medicare will not pay for care I received?
* What can I do if my Medicare private health plan refuses to pay for care I already received?
* What can I do if my Medicare private health plan refuses to let me get care I need?
* What can I do if the drug I need is not covered by my Medicare drug plan or it is too expensive?


Help Paying for Medicare Costs

* Are there government programs that can help me pay for my health care?
* Are there programs that can help pay for my prescriptions?